Local History and Genealogy Help
The Trustees Room serves as a resource center for non-circulating genealogy materials and local history. Included in our collection of materials are:
- County histories (mainly from Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, and Virginia )
- Family histories
- City Directories for Cairo from 1969 – present
- 1820-1930 census rolls for Decatur, Thomas, and Grady counties, as well as Leon, Gadsden and Jefferson counties in Florida. Indices are in print and on CD-ROM.
- Newspaper, The Cairo Messenger, on microfilm and print from 1904 to present
- Sanborn maps for Cairo for 1912 and 1924
- Cairo telephone books from 1941 to present
- Genealogy periodicals
- Vertical file of family names
- Forsythe Funeral Home records from 1945-1959
- Obituaries from Grady County
- Local history vertical file
- Photograph collection
- Roddenbery family book papers (research gathered when writing the family history book). We do not have any copies of this book for sale.
- Yearbooks from Cairo High School (years vary: 1952-present)
The library has Ancestry.com through Galileo, and HeritageQuest online. Both of these programs must be used in the library. Please note that the library does not have any vital records at the library. Birth and death certificates beginning in 1919 through present are available by contacting the Grady County Health Department at 229-377-2992 or through the State of Georgia at this website: http://health.state.ga.us/programs/vitalrecords
A volunteer assists patrons in-house with genealogy questions every Wednesday afternoon. Queries may be submitted through the "Ask a Librarian" page on this website. The staff will respond within three days to your e-mail.
The Grady County Historical Society is on the web at http://www.gradyhistorical.org.